i've been contemplating this since a month before the wedding, but there are a few things holding me back.
1. i'm cheap. i cut my hair maybe twice a year if my mane is so lucky. my current stylist charges only $40 a cut. i know i'll most likely have to shell out at least double to find a good stylist in this city.
2. i still haven't found a stylist i love. $40 lady is fine for trims or even medium-length cuts, but that's it. i don't trust her for something more radical. anyone have a recommendations for a stylist who can work asian, wavy, bendy/formable, very textural, thinning but has tons of volume and frizz hair? yes, the potato hair is quite temperamental. i'm open to someone on the westside, south bay, long beach, or north orange county.
3. i'm lazy. see #1 for how often i drag myself to the salon.
4. "winter" is upon us. i will be seeing snow, as we've got our first snowboarding trip scheduled (tahoe in december...whee!). the extra hair keeps me warm. on the other hand, the extra hair is harder to shove under a winter hat and/or hood.
5. i'm lazy. shorter hair often requires more upkeep. right now, i can just toss it into a ponytail for instant polish.
just in time, instyle came up with a photochopping flash app that i've been desperately searching for for years as real photoshopping takes a longass time to get the angles, hair color, etc. all looking believable. i found it via weemo's experimentation and a post on a message board. one tip - use a photo with as much of your hair pulled up and out of your face as possible and no sunglasses on your head, or else you might end up looking like this:
enough of that. i uploaded a better photo, but i had sideswept bangs in this one, so it still distracted a bit. i originally left the color in its original state, then i tried it in my natural hair color as we all know by this point in this entry that i am too lazy and cheap for hair color upkeep. not that i'd ever go platinum blonde, but ya know. click on each photo for a larger, non-pixelated version.
jessica alba #1
jessica alba #2
posh spice aka victoria beckham
milla jovavich, again
lucy liu. no need for color change on this one.
eva longoria mullet
red potato. debra messing.
mandy moore #1
mandy moore #2
gwen stefani. aka potato in drag.
[which kay pulls of very well]
catherine zeta-jones. scary potato.
in conclusion, i think whenever i get up the nerve, funds, motivation, and the name of an awesome stylist, i'll do something like this, courtesy of the fab jasmine star's blog (sad i didn't find her during my own wedding photographer search, although i do love the one i ended up with). too bad i don't make such a great blonde, and too bad this style will require a bit more handling and upkeep than my current style. but...i think it'll work with my hair type and face shape.
oh, and that little project i was supposed to have done today? um, yeah. no comment. sigh. :(