8.11.2008

life + olympics

life is hard.

hey, i need to somehow make up for all that sap last week. i lost my temper this weekend. bad. and in front of others. bad. embarrassing. humbling. some of my college friends called me a closet rager (as in one who seems incapable of raging but can and does...and appears not so at all until you REALLY get to know them). and they didn't even see me lose it as badly as i did this weekend. luckily, i have only gotten this bad in front of family. until this weekend. thank God it's resolved. almost all appropriate apologies have been made. bear and i have made up and gotten a good talk out of it. new strategies have been set that i can hopefully implement to avoid this in the future. confessed. because really, God help me for i really cannot help myself.

it did make me realize, though, that i haven't been completely honest with myself lately about how things aren't all that peachy. yes, overall, the life balance scale for me right now is leaning more towards the good side than the bad side. because the yucky issues i've been dealing with aren't necessarily the hardest i've ever faced thus far, because i know so many around me dealing with so many worse things right now, because i still have so very much and am so blessed, i've been telling myself it's alright. count your blessings. be happy. life really isn't that bad. no, it's not, but i need to be more honest with myself that the hard things are indeed hard, no matter how trivial. everyone's got their own thresholds, and mine ain't that high thanks to the blessed life i've led. plus the recent years have been rather good, and i'm softer than i was even in past years. i need to admit these goings-on do stress me out deep down inside, even if it's only the unconscious me that knows. so glad i got a chance to finally admit it's all been building up, and yeah, i can deal with it all, but barely.

i whine about the every day on the blog, but i try not to whine about the big things. it's partially to protect my and mine's privacy. it's partially because i don't want to be a debbie downer, when really, even in the hard times, there is always something to celebrate. it's partially because i'm human and not always 100% honest with myself and don't want to put it down somewhere in black and white. it's partially because i've got a lot of pride, still have problems asking for and accepting help, and don't want to show myself vulnerable and supposedly weak. i encourage others when they are brave about sharing about the big, bad things and admire them, but i can't bring myself to do it here. yet. maybe never. i long ago once criticized someone's blog because she overshared on it, got hurt by people she knew as a result, and then started posting vague, almost pointless entries all the time. the bear says i am frustratingly vague at times on here. like her. sorry, but i'm not strong enough to make myself that vulnerable yet. and it may be a long time coming.

so i was going to finish this post with the random notes of my reactions i took while watching the olympics opening ceremony on my iphone. was going to post them verbatim, thumb typos and all. as comedic relief or something. i think i'll save it for another entry.

thankfully, i have a lot of great people to whom i can turn and can share the hard things with when i work up the courage to share. talk. lean on a shoulder. with whom i can keep it real before my own version of when keeping it real goes wrong plays out. who can sense and pull it out of me when i don't have the courage or strength to initiate the talking out, feeling the pain, coping, and healing. thank you to all of you.

14 comments:

  1. [hugs]

    This exact post could have been on my blog. I'm totally a closet rager too, but lately I've been trying harder to at least share my feelings with the Hubster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post.

    Life is indeed hard. And I could really relate to this blog entry. I get really frustrated with myself when I complain about things, because all things considered I do have a good life. A great life, actually.

    But seriously, it does you no good to deny yourself your feelings. And sometimes telling yourself to be happy just doesn't work. It's not that simple.

    Hang in there! You'll make it through. These are tough times for a lot of people, but I know there are better times ahead.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. like you said, we all have different thresholds for what we can tolerate before it becomes too much. just because other people are going through things that may be worse that what you're going through, shouldn't devalue what you're feeling and dealing with.

    the older i get and the more people i meet, the more i realize most people are dealing with more shit than they care to admit.

    always here if you need to vent.
    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, Tater. I know it's not easy to keep a smiling face on when you're dealing with other stuff. It's good to know that you can vent and have the support of friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chin up, bucko. This, too, shall pass. I may be permanently "invisible," but I will always come out of hiding for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. whether it's your blog or your typo-laden iphone or your corral of awesome friends, having a forum to vent is the key to staving off the angry times. as a fellow closet rager, i empathize...

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are few important things in life: health, shelter, food, a good occupation, happiness, family, and good friends.

    My life has been breezing along the last few years, and I kept checking myself and asking when my luck was going to run out.

    Truth be told, when I did (and do) hit bumps in the road, the thing that gets me through is family (who I am honest and close with, thank god), good friends, and a good head on my shoulders. Faith even. Prayer (but not in the churchy sense).

    I'm happy you have people around you who can support you. It's one of the most important things one can have. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even typing about your closet raging is a step in the right direction. I know I'm not someone you'd immediately think of to vent to, but I'm available to you if you ever need it. I am all too familiar with keeping the hard/deep stuff to myself. Lean on those you can and be grateful for their comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw tater! you know there's a lot of people out there that love you, closet rager or not. do what you have to do to stay mentally healthy!! and of course, if you ever decide to share, we're here to listen with nonjudgmental ears.

    ReplyDelete
  10. all i have to say is: i love you, tater.

    that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you have a support system to cry with, shout at, and/or simply to vent. Like WeeMo, one of my besties kindly reminded me that "this to shall pass". A simple saying, yet so helpful! Sending you blogger hugs! And you're so right, God is there to guide you through life, you don't have to do it all alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is familiar. Sometimes it's hard to be grateful for all we have when life seems hard and tedious. It will get better soon.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I like the image of feisty, nasty tater.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i heart you. i don't know you but i know your heart is one of the good ones on the planet. hold onto that and take it all one step at a time. breathe and be open to all that is coming. openness is one of the keys, i think.

    with a kiss,
    D

    ReplyDelete

comments are tasty!